Caliber Corner stickers are here!
Tissot Caliber Powermatic 80

Tissot Caliber Powermatic 80

Tissot Caliber Powermatic 80

ManufacturerTissot
Caliber NumberPowermatic 80, Powermatic 80.111, PM80
Base Caliber
ETA C07.111 (based on the ETA 2824-2)
Lignes
Rotor Style
Ball bearing
Regulator
None
Hacking?Yes
Hand-Windable?Yes
FunctionsHours, minutes, central seconds, date (3:00 or 6:00)
Country of ManufactureSwitzerland
Known Models
Tissot Luxury, Tissot Seastar 1000, Tissot Carson Premium, Tissot Chemin Des Tourelles, Tissot Le Locle, Tissot Gentleman, Tissot Tradition Open Heart, Tissot Ballade COSC, Tissot Couturier, Tissot PR 100, Tissot PRC 200, Tissot Lady Heart Flower

The Tissot Powermatic 80 is a Swiss Made self-winding automatic movement with 23-25 jewels. It is found in various Tissot models and is based on the ETA caliber C07 series, which itself is based on the legendary ETA caliber 2824-2. This caliber was announced at Baselworld 2012.

Almost Mysterious:

Tissot offers almost no information about the Powermatic 80 or the ETA base calibers. The official Tissot site provides large images of each movement, but they do a good job of hiding the ETA caliber designation near the balance wheel. The image above was one of the few available with a blurry glimpse at the base caliber number. Furthermore, ETA does not provide any official documentation on the C07 series, and these movements appear to be exclusive to Swatch Group brands only (as is currently the case for all ETA mechanical movements).

Power Reserve:

This caliber’s claim to fame is the high 80 hours power reserve. In contrast, the standard ETA 2824-2 is rated at about 38 hours power reserve when fully wound. Obtaining an 80 power reserve was achieved with the combination of a more efficient spring barrel and reducing the frequency from 4Hz to 3Hz. This means that the PM80 beats at 21,600 bph compared to a 2824-2 beating at 28,800.

No Regulator:

The Powermatic 80 is not equipped with an ETAChron or other type of regulating system. Similar to the Sistem51, the Powermatic 80 laser regulated at the factory. This is what Tissot refers to as their “High-Tech” escapement. This doesn’t necessarily mean that the movement is impossible to adjust or service, but good luck finding parts or a watchmaker who will want to work on it. This is something for hardcore mechanical watch lovers to take into consideration before spending $1,000+ on a two-tone Tissot Luxury.

ETA C07 Base Movement:

As mentioned above, the Tissot Powermatic 80 movements are based on the ETA caliber C07 series. At the time of this post, there are at least four variations of the C07 (C07.111, C07.141, C07.611, C07.651, C07.811) being used in Tissot timepieces labeled Powermatic 80, but Tissot does not give clear indication which models are powered by which version. We’re doing our best to gather as much information as possible to keep this list updated. Here’s what we have so far:

How to tell the difference?

An easy way to distinguish the difference between the base calibers in Tissot Powermatic 80 models is to look at the features and/or text on the rotor:

Powermatic 80.111 (ETA C07.111)

• Features: Date at 3:00 or 6:00
  • Rotor: High-Tech Escapement / Twenty-Three 23 Jewels / Swiss Made

Powermatic 80.111 COSC (ETA C07.111 COSC grade)

• Features: Date at 3:00 or 6:00
  • Rotor: High-Tech Escapement / Twenty-Three 23 Jewels / Swiss Made

Note: The dial or caseback will have Certified Chronometer text, but not the rotor.

Powermatic 80.121 (ETA C07.141)

• Features: Day at 3:00 or wide date at 12:00, date at 3:00 or wide date at 6:00
  • Rotor (black): High-Tech Escapement / Twenty-Three 23 Jewels / Swiss Made

Note: Tissot shows the caliber 80.121 as being in the Couturier (day at 12 and date at 6) as well as the PRC 200 (day and date at 3), but the calendar layout is different enough to call for different caliber numbers and the images show an ETA C07.141 base movement in the Courturier and an ETA C07.111 base in the PRC 200.

Another Note: Although the image of the movement in the Couturier looks like ETA C07.141, it’s partially covered by the balance. As of this post, there is absolutely nothing to be found about this caliber number anywhere online. If you have a watch with this movement, please confirm in the comments below if we have the correct ETA caliber number.

Powermatic 80.601 (ETA C07.111)

• Features: Date at 3:00 or 6:00
  • Rotor (black): High-Tech Escapement / Twenty-Five 25 Jewels / Swiss Made

Powermatic 80.661 (ETA C07.651)

• Features: Open escapement at 12:00
  • Rotor (black): Twenty-Five 25 Jewels / Swiss Made

Powermatic 80.811 (ETA C07.811)

• Features: Silicium hairspring, date at 3:00
  • Rotor: Silicon Balance Spring / Twenty-Five 25 Jewels / Swiss Made

Powermatic 80.811 COSC (ETA C07.811 COSC grade)

• Features: Certified Chronometer, Silicium hairspring, “Si” logo near the balance wheel, date at 3:00 or 6:00
  • Rotor: Silicon Balance Spring / Chronometer / Swiss Made / Twenty-Five 25 Jewels

Plastic Parts:

There is confusion about whether or not the Powermatic 80 movement uses plastic parts (similar to the Sistem51). First, it’s important to acknowledge that there is more than one Powermatic 80 caliber. For example, The Tissot Luxury line has the Powermatic 80.111 with 23 jewels and uses plastic parts. The COSC rated Powermatic 80.811 found in the Tissot Ballade does not.

ARCAP Inside?

Ever since the release of the Powermatic 80, there has been speculation in the watch industry as to the materials they used to make it. Following the release of the Swatch caliber Sistem51, a movement made entirely of ARCAP, an alloy of copper, nickel and zinc, the Powermatic 80 is believed to be constructed (at least in part) from similar a material. If this is true, it would give the movement resistance against magnetism.

Silicon Balance Spring:

Furthering the resistance to magnetism is the use of a patented silicon balance spring in some Tissot Powermatic 80 models. As mentioned above, movements containing the silicon balance spring will have it written on the rotor, but you can also find a Silicium logo (Si) near the balance wheel. Silicium is another word for silicon, Si is the symbol for silicon on the periodic table of elements.

Tissot Powermatic80 Silicium Video:

Additional Resources:

• Tissot Powermatic 80.111 user manual here
What do you think about Tissot Caliber Powermatic 80? Keep comments respectful and follow our community guidelines.
Notify of
guest
55 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
trackback
The ETA shortage has started for real (and what is Sellita place in this) - Page 5
1 year ago

[…] uses plastic parts. The COSC rated Powermatic 80.811 found in the Tissot Ballade does not.”Tissot Caliber Powermatic 80 Watch Movement | CaliberCorner.com Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account: Here is […]

Paul
Paul
1 year ago

The very reason I shifted to Tissot diver (TISSOT SEASTAR 1000 POWERMATIC 80. T120.407.11.051.00) from Seiko solar diver that is also little cheaper. Put now I read this about plastic? It seems that research reveals that COSC is not available in the Tissot diver that is all metal movement. So now I’m back in the search and Seiko is also under consideration again. Tissot with all metal and 80 hours of power reserve can justify… Read more »

H. j. Klaus
H. j. Klaus
1 year ago
Reply to  Paul

You refer to Silizium with the term plastic, implying that it is lower qualtity. The Silizium Technology allows to adjust the wheel to the movement. It’s abrasive quality is higher than metal and it is antimagnetic. Over all it makes the watches preciser. These qualities are the reason, why Omega as an example could expand it’s garanty to 5 years. I’m proud to have my first Silizium-Movement in a Mido Chronometer. The blind rejection reminds… Read more »

Bobby Allred
Bobby Allred
8 months ago
Reply to  H. j. Klaus

New, or different, does not necessarily mean progress.

Reply to  H. j. Klaus

Silicon is used in the hairspring of the high-end PM80 and is marked with the Si logo and 25 jewels. That is a different movement than the one we are talking about in the Seastar, which has a metal hairspring and does have a Plastic Pallet wheel and lever and is marked 23 Jewels. It is a fact that the basic PM80 in the Tissot and Certina models contain PLASTIC PARTS, not Silicon. Why? The… Read more »

HJK
HJK
Reply to  Dan

You talk about the cheapest Tissot automatics, which use the movement from the the System-Watch. I never considered that and and I talk about the better movements. Plastic sounds cheap, Silizium sounds like progress!

Reply to  HJK

No, the cheapest Tissot’s like the Everytime use the ETA Caliber 902.101, which is a derivative of the System 51. These are very, very low end movements, but they also have the same plastic escapement parts of the PM 80 C07.111, which is a much better movement based on the ETA 2824. Also the low-end Tissot Chronograph use plastic escapements in the ETA Caliber C01.211

Greg
Greg
11 months ago

Not plastic – but this:- Silicon (also known as silicium) found a new place in watchmaking and has gained momentum in the last decade or so. This material has incredible resilience when it comes to shock and is impervious to magnetic interference. Watchmakers are seeing the value in adopting this versatile material that is lighter yet harder than steel into their engineering. It improves stability, performance, accuracy, and resistance to magnetic interferences and thermal fluctuations.… Read more »

Andrew
Andrew
11 months ago

The Powermatic 80.111 operates at 3hz not 4hz so its actually 21,600 bph.

Rafael
Rafael
11 months ago

As a rule, if the (powermatic 80) caliber bears 23 jewels it should have a low friction plastic escapament. If it bears 25 may not. Those two jewels being the ones attached on the pallets.

The ETA C07.111 bears 23 jewels
The ETA C07.811 bears 25 jewels (and perhaps a sillicium balance spring)

5 months ago
Reply to  Rafael

Silizium is not a plastic. Silizium is a metalloid.

Just trying to kill the misinformation.

Reply to  Rafael

Tissot, Certina: ETA C07.111. “Hi-Tech” (Plastic) Escapement, Standard Metal Hairspring 23 J. Hamilton, Mido, Rado: ETA C07.611 Standard Metal/Ruby Escapement, Standard Metal Hairspring 25J All Swatch Group Brands: ETA C07.811 Standard Metal/Ruby Escapement, Anti-Magnetic Silicon Hairspring 25J PM 80 Chronographs: C07.111 (Plastic & Metal) 23J Tissot PR100, Tissot Chemin Des Tourelles, Tissot Luxury, Certina DS-1 ETA C07.621 (Metal & Metal) 25J Mido Commander Chronometer C07.811 (Metal & Silicon) 25J Tissot Ballad Si Chronometer, Mido Baroncelli… Read more »

Thang Bui
Thang Bui
8 months ago

Anyone knows if I can swap C07.111 with ETA 2824-2?
I have a Tissot Le Locle with PM80, and I want to swap out the movement for ETA 2824-2. Is it even possible? Any specific changes/modifies needed to be done?
Thanks for your help.

5 months ago
Reply to  Thang Bui

In my opinion the ETA C07.111 is a superior movement compared to the ETA 2824-2 so I’m wondering why you feel the need to swap?

Kelvin
Kelvin
Reply to  Wolf

Probably because it can’t be serviced or repaired lol. Great option for a broken powermatic 80, just pop in a 2824!

5 months ago

I have the Powermatic 80 ETA C07.111 in the Certina DS PH200M. It uses a Silizium escapement. I’ve had it exactly one month and I’ve been wearing it the whole time. It runs at 0/+0.7 spd on average and it has been up to +1.4 spd. It’s an amazingly precise movement; and yes, I know luck has its part to play in such accuracy and that it will differ from piece to piece. However, it’s… Read more »

5 months ago
Reply to  Wolf

I forgot to mention that it runs at 21,600. Perfectly fine by me.

Reply to  Wolf

Correction: it uses a synthetic escapement of the “plastic” variety. No problems here.

Reply to  Wolf

Sorry to burst your bubble, but your watch uses a Powermatic 80.111. Re-read the description above. It uses plain old PLASTIC for the pallet fork and wheel. That’s why it only has 23 Jewels, instead of 25. The 80.811 is the movement that has metal parts with the 2 rubie pallet stones, and a Silicon hairspring. You can tell it by the Si logo on the movement. The Tissot and the Certina are the only… Read more »

Bez
Bez
Reply to  Dan

Hi, I just got a Tissot with the 80.111 movement as a gift and I’m wondering if the plastic parts will wear out? Should I change to a version with 80.811 movement? I’m new to world of mechanical watches so forgive my ignorance.

Reply to  Bez

Hi, If you listen to watch snobs then your watch is junk. However, if you take the middle road then you will see that it’s just fine and should last you many many years; you may even appreciate the movement for what it does. If you’re new to all of this then you will quickly observe that this hobby is packed with snobs who have unrealistic expectations for a wristwatch and who judge all watches,… Read more »

Reply to  Wolf

It’s really not about being a “watch snob” and more about being a knowledgable enthusiast that sees beyond the marketing hype.

Reply to  Bez

Ya get what you pay for… I’d steer clear of plastic parts in the most critical part of the watch. The timing will be affected as the plastic parts wear, and eventually they may become brittle and break. But you can’t adjust it – no regulator! It’s designed for people that are mostly interested in the lowest price, don’t plan to service a watch and just chuck it when it stops. That being said, the… Read more »

Reply to  Dan

Not true, the Hamilton Khaki field watches also employ the powermatic 80.111 movement (they refer to it as the H10).

4 months ago

Tissot, Certina use C07.111 variant of the base 80.111 (plastic escapement & metal hairspring) 23J.
Mido, Hamilton, Rado use C06.111 variant of the base 80.111 (metal/ruby escapement & metal hairspring) 25J

Reply to  Dan

Sorry, typo not C06.111 — I meant C07.611

Reply to  Wolf

Sorry, but if u have the Certina DS it has the 80.111 powermatic movement and the hairspring is not selicium but rather it is metal. The escapement wheel and fork in your watch are plastic. The powermatic 80 movement which was COSC certified (in some watches of the Swatch Group) was the 80.811.

4 months ago

Yes, it has come to my attention that the escapement is indeed synthetic…call it what you like, I don’t care either way so no bubbles burst.

The watch is great, phenomenal actually, and is still just as accurate at around +0.7 spd. Plastic/synthetic escapement, I don’t care, it’s not going to break or wear out so it’s fine.

BTW, “plastic” is a very generic term for anything that can be moulded.

Kill your snobbery!

Reply to  Wolf

Not snobbery Wolf, I think u have a great watch and it is an extraordinary value. I almost purchased the same until I found out there was a special edition of the Seastar which had the CO7.811 movement and silicium hairspring although it only comes with the blue dial and bezel ring. I think the black dial is to die for and believe it or not I was considering getting another, a model like yours… Read more »

4 months ago

No offence, my friend. I just don’t like the snobbery that has swamped this hobby and I suppose I mistook some comments for it. There has been a lot of confusion over the movements and various images purporting to be such and such movement but nothing definitive. Yeah, it’s a great watch indeed. Have you seen the newer Certina PH500M? Looks pretty good but I’m not certain about Orange. Either way, I think it would… Read more »

Rob
Rob
Reply to  Wolf

Been following the conversation. Don’t you think the confusion within the swatch group brands and these Powermatic movements is intentional? They change things here and there and don’t seem to want us to know what’s what.

Reply to  Rob

That is quite possible. 😉

Reply to  Rob

I’ve wondered about this myself. One thing is for certain, if this was not their intention; they surely haven’t done anything to clarify things.

Reply to  Wolf

I haven’t seen this Certina Wolf but I saw a Certina diver that was emerald green which was quite striking, needless to say I wanted it but I have to curtail spending on watches for awhile.
Your correct about a lot of snobbery in the hobby, some of my favorite watches in my collection (I know this is heresy to many horologists) are quartz and Japanese such as my Citizen Nighthawk).

4 months ago

Yessir, we like what we like and all else is irrelevant.

I know the green Certina.

I like Casio Digitals. I’ll get one some day.
I like quartz as well and there’s some great looking watches in quartz for decent money. I like a couple of watches from Traser. I like the Citizen Altichron as well. I only have one quartz watch and I’ve had that for 22 years. lol

Reply to  Wolf

Since you’re such a fan of plastic, why not go all the way and just get a Swatch? You’ll save some money as well!

Reply to  Dan

I’m not a “fan” of plastics. It simply doesn’t bother me that of all of the individual parts that make up a watch two of them are synthetic and moulded. I know from experience with various other components that some plastics will outlast the metal counterpart. A watch is a tool, a device to give information about the suns location in the sky above and to use for keeping track of time. I like automatics… Read more »

3 months ago

Surprisingly, Tissot also makes a COSC version using the base C07.111 variant of the 80.111 in the PR100.

Jörg Lorenz
Jörg Lorenz
5 months ago

The C07 has a frequency of 21’600 b/h; 3 KHz

Roger Brown
Roger Brown
5 months ago

There is also huge confusion about if the 80.811 is 3hz or 4hz i have seen both quoted?. Does anyone actually know eta deny any knowledge and do not even list it

Rob
Rob
Reply to  Roger Brown

There’s no confusion imo. It’s listed at the top of the page as 3Hz. That’s what it’s supposed to be and how they got “80” hours power reserve out of it.

Glen Danford
Glen Danford
4 months ago

What about the 80.121, is this the one with the normal escapement? (not plastic, not silicium or whatever)

Reply to  Glen Danford

There are three variations of this movement: CO7.111, CO7.611 and CO7.811. The CO7.111 is the one with the plastic escapement fork and wheel and has 23 jewels instead of 25 due to the escapement fork being plastic and not containing jewels.

3 months ago
Reply to  Glen Danford

Calibers ending in 21 indicate a Day/Date movement as noted in the article above. 80.121 is the base model with the plastic escapement (Tissot PRC200), while 80.821 would be the Conventional escapement with Silicon hairspring in Day/Date versions (Mido Multifort or Commander).

Jonathan
Jonathan
30 days ago

Hello! Well I purchased a Tradition Powermatic 80 open heart Tissot watch and was expecting to get the c07.601 with black rotor (but not a must, they say in the company’s website color may change) and the writing “high tech escapement twenty five jewels 25 jewels” inside. But to my surprise The rotor was silver and in addition there was no “high tech escapement” writing at all, just “twenty five (…)”. On the Calibre itself… Read more »

Jonathan
Jonathan
30 days ago
Reply to  Jonathan

This me adding a note, I posted the same response now with pictures above 🙂 please scroll up to see my newest comment with the mentioned picture.

Jonathan
Jonathan
30 days ago

Jonathan
Jonathan
30 days ago
Reply to  Jonathan

Will also mention I bought it from an authorized seller 🙂 so it’s not supposed to be a counterfeit

Alex
Alex
9 days ago
Reply to  Jonathan

I have the same watch from the Tissot online store and it has the silver rotor too (black was pictured on the site). Out of curiosity do you hear small clicks every 2-3 rotations of the rotor similar to the clicks you hear when manually winding the watch?

Peter Laurence-Couzens
Peter Laurence-Couzens
26 days ago

Is it possible to replace an ETA C07.611 with an ETA 2824-2 top grade, and how would one go about getting this done?
(Please, and thank you) 🙂

Harvey
Harvey
26 days ago

There is only one way to find out! Supposedly the dimensions and everything on the ETA C07.611 vs ETA 2824-2 are the same. The only question I would have is the dial feet location. I would assume they’d match up, but if not you will have to have them moved. Lucky it should be easy enough to find a 2824-2 to swap, but not so sure about how you can find different grades. Someone else… Read more »

Peter Laurence-Couzens
Peter Laurence-Couzens
25 days ago
Reply to  Harvey

if it’s not a guaranteed straight drop in replacement I’d better start thinking in terms of a different watch. It’s a lot to gamble on buying a 2824-2 top grade (if they’re even available that is) only to find out it doesn’t fit. I’d then have a nice movement with no watch, and a watch with a movement that I don’t like.
thank you for your reply though.

Vincent Winstedt
Vincent Winstedt
19 days ago

Will you guys add the Powermatic 80.651 to the list?

Vincent Winstedt
Vincent Winstedt
19 days ago
Reply to  Caliber Corner

It’s currently in use in the new ”Certina DS-1 Big Date Powermatic 80” which came out pretty recently and also in the DS-1 Big Date Special Edition from late last year. It has got the new Nivachron Balance Spring.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x