Caliber Corner stickers are here!
Seiko Caliber 7s36

Seiko Caliber 7S36

Seiko Caliber 7s36

ManufacturerSeiko
Caliber Number7S36, 7S36C
Movement TypeAutomatic
Jewels23
Vibrations Per Hour
21,600 bph
Shock SystemSeiko Diashock
Power Reserve
41+ hours
Magnetic Resistance4,800 A/m (60 gauss)
Winding Direction
Not hand-windable
Hacking?No
Diameter12”’ / 27mm
Height4.8mm
FunctionsHours, minutes, central seconds, day/date calendar
Country of ManufactureJapan/Malaysia
Known Brands
Seiko 5 Sport SNZG15J1 (add more in the comments below)

The Seiko caliber 7S36 is an automatic movement used in many popular Seiko divers and the entry level Seiko 5 watches. This movement was first released to the market in 1996. Seiko dive watches, such as the Orange Monster, have since been upgraded to the caliber NH36 (aka 4R36), making Seiko collectors happy because the 7S36 seen here does not hack and is not hand-windable – two functions that have become more and more popular. The caliber 7S36 is the last in the series.

Operational temperature range: Between -10 ºC and 60 ºC (Between 14 ºF and 140 ºF)

Other movements in this series:

Submitted by Daniel who says:
Been a solid runner, it gains about 30 sec or so a day.
What do you think about Seiko Caliber 7S36? Keep comments respectful and follow our community guidelines.
Notify of
guest
44 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
trackback
Seiko Caliber 7S26 Watch Movement | CaliberCorner.com

[…] 7S36 […]

Neteacher
Neteacher
2 years ago

My watch is very irregular, gains between 80-125 seconds /day.
First two weeks was -5sec/day, then +15sec/day. After two months was about +60 sec/day and now +80 to+125 sec/day.
Moreover SEIKO’s official service is opened only few hours during the week so it extremally difficult to repair it.

Todd Caldwell
Todd Caldwell
Reply to  Neteacher

Sounds like it could be lightly magnetised. If you have a friendly local watchmaker, he can run it over the demagnetiser for you, which takes 15 secs . And as I said, if he is friendly, it would be at no cost. It is the first step in diagnosing that issue.

Howard
Howard
1 year ago

I have the C varient and it will loose maybe 20s a day for two days when you start wearing, then by day 3 it will start gaining 10s or so a day. If your relatively sedetary 1-2 days it will start loosing time. Also I don’t experience a 40hr reserve more like 30hrs then it stops or runs irregular. In mixed 7 day use (from initial start up) Ive seen it gain a total… Read more »

Gary
Gary
2 years ago

My son and I both have a Seiko SNZG15J1 with this movement. His gains 27 s/day, about what you would expect. Mine is unusual… it only gains 1.7 s/day, which I have carefully verified over a 2 week test period. Just good luck, I guess, but amazing performance for the price.

Zul
Zul
Reply to  Gary

I just bought last week, and my problem with this 7s36c sometime even i use the nedlle got stop

Fred VonFirstenberg
Fred VonFirstenberg
Reply to  Zul

“sometime even i use the nedlle got stop”

What does this mean?

marc luscher
marc luscher
2 years ago

ESL translation problem. the user has had the second hand stop while wearing the watch

Eamonn
Eamonn
Reply to  Gary

27s/d is quite a lot should say. Even if it’s a 7S one it can operate between COSC parameters, all my 7S are regulated and operate at less -/+ 5 s/d.

Powell
Powell
7 days ago
Reply to  Gary

2 years later, how are your watches running? Did you try to demagnetize the watch with the fast running movement? Is yours still running around a couple fast seconds per day? Really interested in an update 🙂

Oilseed
Oilseed
2 years ago

what’s the difference between the original 7S36, the 7S36B and the 7S36C??

Eamonn
Eamonn
Reply to  Oilseed

Main differences between those are improvements done on the materials used but mainly the movement is the same, I mean same configuration same fonctions. Is like reviewed and improved version nothing else.

John van Abkoude
John van Abkoude
2 years ago

I own a Seiko SNZF17K1 with this caliber. Can I somehow upgrade it to a caliber that has second hacking and hand winding?

Elijah
Elijah
2 years ago

I ve a seiko snzb24j1 it works amazing I would wish my best friends go for it. It doesn’t gain or loss anything. I don’t regret at all.

trackback
Seiko Flightmaster SNA413 Review - The Best Seiko Aviator? - iknowwatches.com

[…] Seiko Caliber 7S36, 23-jewel automatic (self-winding) movement […]

Kit
Kit
1 year ago

Had this for 2 yrs – its now gaining 10 minutes a day and bracelet is scratching easy on strap.

joe
joe
1 year ago
Reply to  Kit

stop buying a bootleg watch

Andrew
Andrew
1 year ago
Reply to  Kit

You’re watch is almost certainly magnetized. RUn it over a demagnetizer and you should be good to go 🙂

RAF Onyx
RAF Onyx
12 days ago
Reply to  Kit

I agree with Andrew. Hairspring has become magnetized. Easy solution, as Andrew explains.

Jeevan
Jeevan
1 year ago

I recently bought a Seiko 5 Sea Urchin SNZF17 (7s36 movement) and while setting the time, day and date; I accidentally turned the crown in a counter clockwise direction. Would that be a problem for the watch?

Justin Hogge
Justin Hogge
1 year ago
Reply to  Jeevan

I hope someone else comments on this too, but from the little bit I know, that’s no problem to turn the crown counterclockwise. You can set the time clockwise or counterclockwise. If you go the wrong way when setting the date, it will click… you probably shouldn’t do this a lot. One thing you don’t want to do is set the date while the time is between 8:00 PM and 4:00 AM.

Jeevan
Jeevan
1 year ago
Reply to  Justin Hogge

Thanks Justin for the reply!

Tran
Tran
1 year ago

I bought a 7S36C. I’m wonderig about it a fake one. Please help me to verify it. Serial No. on case is 832160

Steve
Steve
1 year ago

My Seiko 5 sports has the 7S36 movement, has been a solid runner since 2009, with one service because I dropped it and the watch started over speeding ( a spring got caught up) anyway it’s still good and keeps time to around +5seconds a day. Good automatic watch.

Gamphy
Gamphy
5 months ago
Reply to  Steve

Exactly the same as mine, dropped and a spring got hooked up, fixed and been running good as gold since 2009

trackback
Seiko Caliber 4R36 Watch Movement | CaliberCorner.com
1 year ago

[…] movement was released circa 2011. This caliber was considered to be an upgrade from the popular 7S36 movement as it offers the user the desirable hacking and hand-winding […]

David M
David M
1 year ago

7s36 is also in SNZF15j2

Bill McMahon
Bill McMahon
10 months ago

Where can I find a replacement Bezel? Looked all over and cannot find one. Mine is a 7S36-03MO. I need a sliver bezel

Vlad
Vlad
9 months ago

My 7s36 (snzf15k1) works just fine. +1,9 / -0,9 That is even better than some 8k Swiss brands.

CB
CB
7 months ago

Hello all. My 7s36c Stops and starts. It now has a rattle when I move my wrist fast. I’m sure I dropped it one too many times. When I look at the back everything is stopped then I rotate the movement and it will kick start but not for long. Always end up stopping again. Is it doomed or can it be saved? Thanks. CB

José Maria Aguasca Ribot
José Maria Aguasca Ribot
6 months ago

Uso éste calibre correspondiente a un SNZG-13J1 fabricado en Japón, desde hace un año y es el mejor automático que he usado, con independencia de su precio.
Sin afinar, su precisión se mantiene en – 3 / – 4 segundos 24h.

Democrito G. Plaza
Democrito G. Plaza
4 months ago

I bought a Few days ago a Brand New Seiko w/ 7S36 mechanical Watch. I Got it frm TimeStudio In Cash & Carry. My Problem is after i wore it, in 2-3 hrs it would stop. Whats the Problem?

Louis B
Louis B
3 months ago

This happened to me as well – it seems the automatic winding does not work as well as a mechanical one. I opened the watch and wound it with a small tool, it works fine (about 36hours) but I think there may be a problem with the small part that pushes the winding mechanism… if anyone has had similar issues i’d be keen to understand how to fix it durably (that is, without having to… Read more »

Boyet Plaza
Boyet Plaza
3 months ago
Reply to  Louis B

How do i fix it

Boyet Plaza
Boyet Plaza
3 months ago
Reply to  Boyet Plaza

Thank you Louie B.

Julian
Julian
3 months ago

In my experience, it is “atrophy”. When watches have not been running for a long time, the coil in the main barrel is harder to wind.
I you don´t want to service it, just shake it for quite a while befor you wear it. After a few days, it usually winds up for many hours.

Felix de Vega
Felix de Vega
3 months ago

Got my seiko SNZG15K1 with the 7S36C movement two years ago. So far it works perfect, gains only around 2 or 3 minutes per month, so I am very happy with it, I can highly recommend it. However I’ve heard sometimes they are not that precise, maybe is a matter of finding a good working one.

daniel vielma
daniel vielma
3 months ago

hi i have a seiko 5 with the 7s36c movement that is not repairable. is there another movement that i can upgrade with? that is the same size as the 7s36.

thanks i,m new to the watch community
best regards Daniel

Powell
Powell
7 days ago
Reply to  daniel vielma

Maybe you can look into a DIY swap of the 7s36 with the nh36?

Daniel Vielma
Daniel Vielma
7 days ago
Reply to  Powell

Yes thank you that’s exactly what I did worked out awesome thanks again

trackback
Seiko 5 SNZH57 Review & Fifty Five Fathoms - iknowwatches.com
2 months ago

[…] have used their workhorse automatic 7S36 in this watch, which although not remarkable, is super reliable and a great buy at such a […]

John
John
1 month ago

I received a Seiko Sea Urchin on 3 July for my birthday. So far, it remains accurate to the second.

Love Denke Göransson
Love Denke Göransson
11 days ago

this movement is noticeably one of seikos cheapest as the seconds hand does not stop when you draw the crown out and this movement is also quite loud like you can hear it if there is no other noice even if you arent holding it close to you

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x